We’re honored to have an award-winning culinary program at Willow Valley Communities. Together, our amazing team of chefs create unique and delicious senior living dining menus for our campus’ 12 culinary venues. We’re excited to share some of those great dishes with you.
Chef Keoni shares one of his favorite recipes: Crab-Crusted Cod with Sweet Potato Hash & Roasted Red Pepper Coulis.
Featured Chef: Chef Keoni Stryhn
Featured Recipe: Crab-Crusted Cod with Sweet Potato Hash & Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
About Chef Keoni Stryhn:
Keoni Stryhn is Willow Valley Communities’ Chef of the Production Kitchen. It has been in operation for 26 years and is located on the ground level of the North community. Keoni oversees a busy team who produces 100+ varieties of soup, fresh baked breakfast and dinner breads, desserts, including gluten-free and no-sugar-added options, as well as several dinner items. His kitchen supports all of Willow Valley Communities.
Keoni received his culinary education while working under Certified Master Chef Rudolph Speckamp, co-owner of the popular Rudys’ 2900 restaurant located in Baltimore, Maryland while attending Carroll County Career and Technology Center for Culinary Arts. Keoni then moved on to the Baltimore Country Club where he worked as a Sous Chef under Certified Master Chef Peter Timmons who also served as the Executive Chef of the Greenbrier Resort in W.V. (The distinction of Certified Master Chef is the highest and most demanding level of achievement of all American Culinary Federation certifications, and only 60 chefs in the world have earned this title.)
Keoni was born on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and credits his name to his mother’s Hawaiian heritage where she was born and raised in Honolulu on the island of Oahu. He practiced his love for Asian cooking while working at Pacific Café on the island of Maui, HI.
He enjoys the freedom he has at Willow Valley Communities to bring new and healthy ideas to the culinary services department and looks forward to continuing to move the Production Kitchen forward as the department continues to grow.
Crab-Crusted Cod with Sweet Potato Hash & Roasted Red Pepper Coulis (4 Servings)
- 6 oz. Cod filets4 filets
Sweet Potato Hash Ingredients
- Bacon slices, diced3
- Shallot, minced1
- Chopped garlic1 tsp.
- Diced celery1/3 cup
- Diced sweet potato3 cups
- White wine½ cup
- Chicken stock2 cups
- Whole grain mustard2 tbsp.
- Salt & pepperTo taste
Crab Mixture Ingredients
- Jumbo lump crab meat8 oz.
- Diced green pepper2 tbsp.
- Crushed saltine crackers½ cup
- Mayo1 cup
- Old Bay seasoning1 tbsp.
- Dijon mustard1 tsp.
Roasted Red Pepper Coulis Ingredients
- Red peppers2
- Olive oil½ cup
- Salt & pepperTo taste
Sweet Potato Hash Directions
- In a sauté pan, crisp the bacon.
- Cook the shallot, garlic, and celery in bacon fat until tender.
- Add potatoes and wine. Reduce.
- Add chicken stock.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Finish with mustard, salt and pepper, and asparagus.
Crab Mixture Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Salt and pepper the fish.
- Spread 2 oz. of crab mixture on the top of fish.
- Sauté crab until brown.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper Coulis Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat peppers in olive oil and salt and
pepper, then wrap in foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap peppers, removing skin and seeds
- Place peppers in a blender and blend till smooth, adding olive oil slowly
- Finish sauce with salt and pepper to taste