This wonderful recipe comes from Stephanie Sodak, Willow Valley Communities’ manager of nutrition and culinary services. Inside-Out Lasagna was one of our Healthy Cafe Specials recently. It’s vegetable-packed, (with 8 cups of spinach!), saucy, cheesy, super flavorful, healthy, much lighter that traditional lasagna, and so delicious.
The recipe is below. Post and share your photos if you make this at home, or even better, plan a visit to Willow Valley Communities for a taste and tour. Experience our 12 dining venues for yourself, from our Overlook Artisanal Coffeehouse and Wine Bar, and Corner Sweets demonstration bakery, to our Four Seasons restaurant. Call 800-770-5445 to schedule your visit and the sample treats are on us.
Inside-Out Lasagna INGREDIENTS
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini or fusilli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Spinach has an extremely high nutritional value and is rich in antioxidants. It is a good source of Vitamins A, B2, C and K, and also contains Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Iron, Calcium and Potassium.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spinach and crushed red pepper (if using). Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring once halfway through, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta and divide among 4 bowls. Dollop each serving with 3 tablespoons of ricotta.
Per serving: 364 calories; 9 g fat; 14 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 7 g fiber; 588 mg sodium; 9 WW Points