Our healthy Chicken Waldorf Salad is filled with lean protein, delicious fresh apples, grapes, and heart-healthy nuts. Our chefs often lighten this up a bit by using a combination of mayo and low-fat plain or Greek yogurt. It’s a beautiful blend of flavors and textures and great to make ahead for lunch or a light dinner. Serve it over a small salad of greens or use it in a whole grain wrap or roll. Even better, scoop a generous portion into the center of a lettuce leaf and enjoy it taco style!
Many of our residents enjoy cooking now and then, while at other times they enjoy a variety of vegetarian-friendly dining options in eleven distinct venues, from buffets and snack bars to menu dining – all of our culinary options rival the finest restaurants. Let us show you around our resort-lifestyle communities. Give us a call at 800-770-5445, or contact us on our website and ask to come taste for yourself.
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (see Tips)
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 1 cup halved red or green grapes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired (see Tips), divided
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery and 1/4 cup walnuts. Stir to coat well. Serve topped with the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips:If you want cooked chicken in a hurry, the easiest way to cook it is to poach it. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken)
- To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 16 g fat; 78 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 408 mg sodium; 9 WW points